Skip to main content

January 2014 - Looking back and looking forward

January 2014 - News from Norberto & Anahi

Happy New Year, and thank you for standing by us throughout 2013. It was a growing year for me as a person, as well as a time of transition as I emerged from the deep grieving of 2012 into a more steady emotional state. I thank God for you and your prayers.

Last January, I was still crying a lot and wondering how I would live another day without my Julie and Timothy. If I could, I would still change things and have my wife and son back with me. But over the past year I realized that God is in control—of our time, family, resources, talents—and we are but his managers. He has given me the strength to go on and to enjoy seeing Anahi grow into a beautiful little girl. Learning to manage the role of father-mother has been difficult, and I have gained a huge respect for single-parent families. I realize more how dependent we really are on God and our need to daily connect with his Word.

Over this past year I have also been involved in the life of the Obligado Church of God. I have been assisting the leadership as their interim pastor, and we have developed a wonderful bond with the church. The people there have become like family.

I met with more wonderful friends in July, when I had the chance to speak at the Christian Motorcyclists Association's western regional rally in ChamaNew Mexico. Thanks to MVI for the opportunity.

In September we celebrated Anahi's third birthday. Grandma Grace and Grandpa Richard were here from the States. Friends and other family members came over, too. Celebrating Anahi's life was even more special this time. It was a moment to realize that not all is lost, and the hope of new life is present.

As many of you know, my sister Nila has been living with me since the accident. She has been incredible, helping me raise Anahi and keeping the house managed. She has been teaching at two local universities and plans to leave for Brazil in March to pursue an internship as a social worker in Sao Paulo. I thank God for giving me Nila for almost two years.

As for Anahi, she is a delight. She loves people, life, and little animals. She is very caring. Anahi is also fully potty trained; showers by herself, and loves pouring her milk in her own cereal. She has given me reasons to live and laugh almost every day in the last months.




I look into 2014 with new hope. I am still wrapping up loose ends from 2012 and 2013. I am asking God what areas of ministry he wants me to continue and what are some new ministry chapters I need to pursue. I am praying for direction as I look into the future and the life God wants me to live out as a full-time missionary and minister. 

May 2014 bring great blessings into your life.
Much love,

Norberto and Anahi 

Comments

  1. Preciosas palabras que solo pueden ser guíadas por el Espíritu Santo que vive en vos primo.
    Recordandote en mis pausas del trabajo.
    Espero verte pronto Norbi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remembering Julie (I knew her briefly via Spring Hill- summer of 96), and thinking of your family. Psalm 121

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in Paraguay!

If you're wondering what Paraguayans do at Christmastime, they have some great traditions , including the " noche buena " meal on Christmas Eve at midnight.  They eat lots chipa guasu (a type of corn casserole, stay tuned for a recipe), asado or grilled meat (some eat it cold), salads, especially fruit salad, watermelon and drink mucho terere . Families travel from all over the country, many even return from working in other countries like Brazil, Argentina, and Spain, to celebrate with loved ones. This is us at last year's Kurrle celebration in Asuncion. Festivities are anything but a silent night with fireworks, loud music and drinking cidra (hard cider).  Most Paraguayans do not decorate Christmas trees (we decorate ours in shorts!) or emphasize Santa Claus.  Instead, they put beautiful nativities " pesebres " in their yards and in store fronts.  Kind of novel to focus on Christ at Christmas, isn't it! To beat the heat, many Paraguayans g

Fighting Discouragement in the Busyness of Life

Hubby and I have made an agreement not to talk about sensitive issues after 10:00 p.m. It’s a rule in our household because when we were first married our late night talks would turn into fights and we would say hurtful things, because we were tired and our reasoning senses were shot. We eliminated almost all arguments with that simple rule. Exhaustion takes the best out of a person. Another new book on the market,talks about the high burnout rate among pastors. In reading reviews of the book, the author says that lack of sleep is one of the main causes of burnout. I’m reading this book that also deals with the correlation of sleep deprivation and discouragement. It’s a book for overactive people who are seeking to strengthen a love relationship with the Lord. Being in the ministry, I feel the demands of people’s needs constantly. Daily, we hear claps at the door to pray, to chauffeur people around, to do weddings, funerals, to lead Bible studies, to counsel just about any pro

Paraguayan Weddings

On Valentine’s Day, we had the joy of attending the wedding of Sandra and Anastacio, young leaders in the church. Sandra is my assistant with Children of Promise and Anastacio, apart from his carpentry job, has a popular youth-focused radio program every night at 8:00 on our station. We’ve been to quite a few weddings, and these are some of the uniquenesses of southern Paraguayan wedding celebrations from our North American culture: 1. Nothing is fancy. Emphasis is placed on the act of marriage and not on the decorations or food. 2. It is not an expectation that parents help pay for expenses. Most families just make it each month with regular expenses and cannot afford to pay for eleborate feasts. Most couples have to spend months saving for their own wedding. 3. Borrow as much as possible. Many times wedding dresses are borrowed 5-10 times, because few women can afford their own. Flowers, decorations, shoes and ties (Norb loans out his ties often...since he never wears them!