Skip to main content

WHEN DOES GRIEVING END?



This morning I woke up and could not get going. I was alone in the house while my sister and Anahi were running some errands, and one of Julie’s favorite songs was playing on the radio.  I began to cry. "God, how long? When will I see the other side?"

As paradoxical as it may sound, I am actually beginning to long for the next grief surge. It has become the new familiar thing. It’s the one connection I have with my past. It’s the time I have to myself to think of two great loves that enriched my life for 15 years. Thinking about the son I had, who made me a dad and brought fatherhood out of me. Pondering how love grows deeper over the years. Thinking about the incredible wife God gave me, who loved me unconditionally and made me a better person. Now all of that is gone, and I am left with just a quiet house and tears.

But I am also aware that life never stops and is constantly moving forward, even if I am moving very slowly right now. People move on. Many of you have been there for me since day one. But I realize that empathy can last only so long. I have never considered myself a passive person. I don’t like to be stuck. I praise and admire proactive people. I enjoy going somewhere in life. But this is very hard. If I had let my humanity run my emotions, and forgotten that I have a God who holds me in the palm of his hand, I would have given up long ago. Life without hope of restoration would be very difficult.

I have taken steps forward, but I still wake up some mornings wondering when I will truly laugh again (I mean from deep within). When will I be cruising again on the highway of life fulfillment? Narrow roads, winding paths, and lonely stretches have been the norm this year. I don’t want to sound like a complainer because I have been blessed with wonderful friends, so many prayers, and the love of my immediate family. On top of that I have a little daughter who does not let one day go by without giving me kisses and telling me that she loves me. But I am tired of crying, of missing my loved ones, of spending hours learning new skills, of taking responsibility for new tasks.

When does grieving end? Some say "Never;" others say, "Just wait; you will laugh again." The Bible says that God will turn our mourning into dancing. Others say the pain will gradually fade into your memory bank. In a sense, I have found truth in all of these statements.

Some days I want to be done with grieving. I want to write in my journal: "I woke up this morning, and life is good. I am not hurting anymore, and I am moving forward." But I know that the line between the past and the present is never that clear. We are constantly embracing our past and weaving it into the present. The future can be new and good, depending on what I do with the good and bad of my past.

Some days I think I am over the worst of it. But then I wake realizing that I am on the journey like anyone else dealing with his or her past and hoping that tomorrow will bring a new season of joy, renewed dreams, and fulfillment.


Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing the truth, Norberto. You are giving people who grieve permission to speak from their hearts when they hurt, and not feel like they have to be on a timeline and "hurry up" through this. And your friends will never run out of empathy--you just help us know how to pray for you when you let us have a peek inside your world. Hugs from Encarnacion.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

September highlights. A month in Paraguay

I want to thank you for hanging out with us this past month. Every day was different. Sometimes I wish I had more of a routine. But in my missionary role, routine is not something I experience very often. Here are a few September highlights.

We traveled to Asuncion, to get some paperwork done. The trip to Asuncion generally takes six hours on a two lane road, with crazy traffic. We avoid these trips as much as possible. 

I was part of a Baptism ceremony in the Parana River. 28 people made a public commitment. The Parana Rive is the second one in size after the Amazon River.



I had a chance to continue my bible teaching at our local church on Tuesday evenings. I fill in various classes and find teaching very rewarding.
We celebrated Anahi’s 6th birthday with our immediate family. Anahi is finishing her preschool and will start first great next year


We celebrated Dominick’s 4th month. He also got his shots last week. Dominick has occupied the center of attention. He has been a great joy for …

Technology in missions

As I started my day, within a few hours, I had a list of things to do. By 10 am I had enough items to keep me busy for a week. After several hours in the office, I was able to send audio messages and video conference with people on both side of the Equator. I sent letters out to several people in just a few seconds. I posted on FB, and I googled some maps while listening to a webinar.
Did my grandparents or even my parents have these technologies? The answer is no. David and Lilian Meier left on a steam ship the port of New Orleans in December of 1935 towards South America. All the field knowledge they had was a letter from a German missionary who wrote to America saying. Will someone come to Brazil?


That was the beginning. Their first trip lasted a decade serving in several places in South America. There where no phone calls, no daily FB updates and no cool Instagram pictures. Few words on a telegram, or when letters were written they delivered weeks later were the ways of communica…

A month in Paraguay, Come and hang out with us

Book fair – Freedom of expression
Its was the beginning of the 12th , annual book fair. This event is organized by a local university as one of its arms into the community. Publishers, book sellers and authors come to present their books. Until Sunday Sept 11th, kids, professors from different schools will come and visit plaza de armas (city square of weapons) in downtown Encarnacion to learn and interact. In parallel with the book fair, workshops are going on all day, dealing with topics as wide as social media, religion, politics, team work, biographies, and history.


Just to refresh our memory, until 1989 Paraguay had only two universities in the country. The country was governed by a dictator for 35 years. Freedom of expression could cost exile, jail or even death. That’s only about 30 years ago. Today there are 54 universities, but still only about 4% attending university. People are gaining their voice without fear of repression after two hundred years. You can imagine how these …