Skip to main content

10 months of grieving and healing

All to You, I give it all to You. I lay my life before You. Lord, I surrender all. All that I have been through, I give it to You now. And though I have some questions, things I'll never understand, I come into Your presence, and I place them in Your hands. I know that You are faithful. Your mercy will sustain me, and Your grace will see me through. I cast my cares upon You, and I come to You in faith. (From the album, Thank You Lord, by Don Moen)

Ten months ago, my life changed forever. I still wish so badly that I could go back to my former life, connected to Julie and Timothy. I struggle, I wrestle, but at the same time I am aware that I have to embrace and accept the new life God is giving me. It’s so easy to think that we are in control, and that life as we know it will last forever. Nobody lives expecting tragedy. We avoid it. But there is an appointed time. This alone should give us purpose and direction.

I want to make mine the words of Don Moen. Julie enjoyed listening to him, and I clearly remember how, often on Sunday mornings, Julie would play his CD and look up to heaven, singing along. Occasionally she would lift up her hands and worship. I would catch her singing, "I surrender all."

An average day in Paraguay, Jan 2009


Perhaps I never truly understood how much Julie surrendered. She surrendered living in her birth country after her call into missions. After every furlough back in the States, she would say goodbye to her mother and father, not knowing what the future held. She gave up pursuing a successful career and all the benefits that may have come along with that. With her business degree and her almost straight-A school record, she surely would have landed a well-paying job somewhere.

Julie also gave up positions that she held in the first 24 years of her life. Before we got married, she was part of the pioneering team that started SpringHill Camps' InPursuit in Seymour, Indiana. In college she was involved in student government, serving as student body president, the second woman (got to double check this fact) to hold that position at Anderson University. She gave up making good money to embrace a calling that brought her to Paraguay to serve people she had never met.

During a tough day during our first year in Paraguay, Julie said to me, "Norb, I feel like a nobody. People laugh at my broken Spanish; my head hurts." Between tears, smiles, and frustrations, we talked, prayed, and held each other, knowing that we were in the right place but realizing that it wouldn't be easy.

Of course, within a few years, Julie learned to speak great Spanish. She took on responsibilities, locally and internationally. Soon people realized that she cared and was here to stay. Her simple actions and her smiles gained her favor with Paraguayans. She began blogging about her journey in Paraguay. She once had me recording how clothes are washed by hand. That video has been watched thousands of times

But giving up things gives room for new things to happen. In Julie's 10 years in Paraguay, she saw the fruits of her labor when:
  • Sandra Greve, after being personally mentored and trained by Julie, took her place with Children of Promise, a child-sponsorship program that currently serves almost 100 children in Paraguay and Argentina.



  • The Radio Alternativa Christian radio station, which Julie had administered, became self-supportive and she was able to hand it off to capable hands.
  • Timothy gave his heart to the Lord at age 5 while we drove back from Asuncion.

  • We moved into our own home in 2009, made possible because saving and living within our means was so dear to Julie.
  • Esther Anahi came into our home after two years of waiting and paperwork. One more orphan has a loving home.
During a family trip Feb 2012

  • Women in the neighborhood would come to Julie to ask for prayer and have long conversations. Today young women that she mentored hold leadership positions.
  • We inaugurated the ICCI, the Christian Bible school, and 5 full-time and 20 part-time students began their training to become Christian leaders.
  • She helped give away 50 motorcycles to indigenous pastors.
I wish that Julie could see the people in the church today who are making commitments and stepping into ministry, remembering Julie and wanting to imitate her example.

Today, 10 months after the accident, I admit that healing is taking place. The pain has subsided, and I am beginning to hope, to create new habits. I am enjoying my little Anahi, who still prays for her mommy and, with no prompting, looks up to heaven when she says the word "Mommy." I am thankful for my sister, Nila, who has been by my side since the accident. I thank God for each of you who has said something, sent a note, or prayed for us. You are one reason that I am standing today.

One side of me wants to go back to my former life with Julie and Timothy and recover what I have lost. Another side of me wants to live again and hope and dream, aware that I have been given another chance to live and wanting to make the most of it. I am learning that there is a tension that exists and that will probably remain with me as I journey on.

Anahi needs me, and there is still a ton to be done. Don Moen sings, "Lord, I give my whole heart, mi corazón." I want that. "My soul sings, my spirit shouts with every breath of crying out." I pray that I can be faithful to the end and that God can turn these ashes into beauty.

On the journey,
Norberto and Anahi

Comments

  1. This morning I saw a comment from Julie on my blog and I thought of your family and prayed. Thank you for continuing to share about your journey. Bendiciones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Norberto,

    I stumbled upon your website about 6 months ago and have been reading it ever since. You and your family have been in my prayers and I thank you for doing all that you do for God's Kingdom here on earth.

    May God's Peace be with you and your daughter each and every day.

    Brother in Christ,
    Rudy B.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in Paraguay!

If you're wondering what Paraguayans do at Christmastime, they have some great traditions , including the " noche buena " meal on Christmas Eve at midnight.  They eat lots chipa guasu (a type of corn casserole, stay tuned for a recipe), asado or grilled meat (some eat it cold), salads, especially fruit salad, watermelon and drink mucho terere . Families travel from all over the country, many even return from working in other countries like Brazil, Argentina, and Spain, to celebrate with loved ones. This is us at last year's Kurrle celebration in Asuncion. Festivities are anything but a silent night with fireworks, loud music and drinking cidra (hard cider).  Most Paraguayans do not decorate Christmas trees (we decorate ours in shorts!) or emphasize Santa Claus.  Instead, they put beautiful nativities " pesebres " in their yards and in store fronts.  Kind of novel to focus on Christ at Christmas, isn't it! To beat the heat, many Paraguayans g

Fighting Discouragement in the Busyness of Life

Hubby and I have made an agreement not to talk about sensitive issues after 10:00 p.m. It’s a rule in our household because when we were first married our late night talks would turn into fights and we would say hurtful things, because we were tired and our reasoning senses were shot. We eliminated almost all arguments with that simple rule. Exhaustion takes the best out of a person. Another new book on the market,talks about the high burnout rate among pastors. In reading reviews of the book, the author says that lack of sleep is one of the main causes of burnout. I’m reading this book that also deals with the correlation of sleep deprivation and discouragement. It’s a book for overactive people who are seeking to strengthen a love relationship with the Lord. Being in the ministry, I feel the demands of people’s needs constantly. Daily, we hear claps at the door to pray, to chauffeur people around, to do weddings, funerals, to lead Bible studies, to counsel just about any pro

Paraguayan Weddings

On Valentine’s Day, we had the joy of attending the wedding of Sandra and Anastacio, young leaders in the church. Sandra is my assistant with Children of Promise and Anastacio, apart from his carpentry job, has a popular youth-focused radio program every night at 8:00 on our station. We’ve been to quite a few weddings, and these are some of the uniquenesses of southern Paraguayan wedding celebrations from our North American culture: 1. Nothing is fancy. Emphasis is placed on the act of marriage and not on the decorations or food. 2. It is not an expectation that parents help pay for expenses. Most families just make it each month with regular expenses and cannot afford to pay for eleborate feasts. Most couples have to spend months saving for their own wedding. 3. Borrow as much as possible. Many times wedding dresses are borrowed 5-10 times, because few women can afford their own. Flowers, decorations, shoes and ties (Norb loans out his ties often...since he never wears them!