Skip to main content

Waiting for Timothy: March 2005 to November 2005



My beloved son, Timothy:

Long before you came along, your mother and I wanted children. We believed in the promises of God and considered it an honor to be parents, if that was God’s plan for us. You were to be our firstborn, after a long wait.

Once we found out that you were on the way, those first nine months seemed to pass so slowly. We talked to you, played music, and sang to you with the knowledge that you were developing. Julie tried to eat the right stuff, sleep, read, and tell me all about what she was learning. We had lively discussions on parenting styles.

On August 31, our doctor said that we were expecting a boy. We were eager to meet you. Just over a month later, on October 1, we purchased a lot in town, where we wanted to one day, God willing, build our home.

On the evening of October 14, we went to hear the UniNorte symphony orchestra. I remember that Julie smiled as you kicked her when the drums were played. It was as if you were saying, "Let me help the orchestra. I am alive and already understand music." We had dinner after the symphony to celebrate your impending arrival and our last month without kids.

Our journal entry of November 12 says that we spent the afternoon hanging curtains and decorating your little room. Your crib was ready, and you were due within the week. We wanted so badly for you to be born. During that last month, relatives would call and wonder, "Is Timothy here? Don’t keep us in suspense." Several ultrasounds showed that you were a healthy, developing boy. We prayed for your health, for your future, for wisdom to raise you, and for you to prosper in all areas of life.

On November 22, we checked into the hospital at 4pm and got our room reserved. Since Julie and I both had birthdays on the 22nd, I wanted you to be born on that day, too; that way, it would be simple for me to remember your birthday. But you had your own identity and timing, and God had a specific plan for you. The next day, at 5:15am, Julie gave me the word: "My water broke." A long day began. Julie did awesome, and you arrived via natural birth at 3:15pm on November 23, 2005.

I was allowed into the delivery room to witness your birth and will never forget those tense, painful, yet life-giving moments when you opened your eyes, busted out your first sound, and began your life outside of the womb. My life had been changed: I was the proud father of a healthy boy. My journey on this earth with you, Timothy, had officially begun, and the future was ahead of us.

On the 25th, about 48 hours after your birth, we brought you home. Julie was so strong. Her pain turned into dancing. It will be like a woman suffering the pains of labor. When her child is born, her anguish gives way to joy because she has brought a new baby into the world. Our anticipation was now a reality.

To be continued . . . Timothy’s life, birth to age 1.

Comments

  1. It's wonderful that you remember so many details about those 9 months of waiting, and the first few days of new life. There's nothing like that day of delivery, is there? I think it's great that Timmy waited one day after when you were expecting, like his little statement of individuality. :) Nice memories....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your courage continues to inspire me, Norberto. Timi was so grateful to have you as his dad, and Julie was so blessed to have you as her husband. Prayers continue for healing and peace and mercy, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your courage continues to inspire me, Norberto. Timi was fortunate to have you as his dad, and Julie was blessed to have you as her husband. Prayers for peace and mercy and healing continue, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

September highlights. A month in Paraguay

I want to thank you for hanging out with us this past month. Every day was different. Sometimes I wish I had more of a routine. But in my missionary role, routine is not something I experience very often. Here are a few September highlights.

We traveled to Asuncion, to get some paperwork done. The trip to Asuncion generally takes six hours on a two lane road, with crazy traffic. We avoid these trips as much as possible. 

I was part of a Baptism ceremony in the Parana River. 28 people made a public commitment. The Parana Rive is the second one in size after the Amazon River.



I had a chance to continue my bible teaching at our local church on Tuesday evenings. I fill in various classes and find teaching very rewarding.
We celebrated Anahi’s 6th birthday with our immediate family. Anahi is finishing her preschool and will start first great next year


We celebrated Dominick’s 4th month. He also got his shots last week. Dominick has occupied the center of attention. He has been a great joy for …

Technology in missions

As I started my day, within a few hours, I had a list of things to do. By 10 am I had enough items to keep me busy for a week. After several hours in the office, I was able to send audio messages and video conference with people on both side of the Equator. I sent letters out to several people in just a few seconds. I posted on FB, and I googled some maps while listening to a webinar.
Did my grandparents or even my parents have these technologies? The answer is no. David and Lilian Meier left on a steam ship the port of New Orleans in December of 1935 towards South America. All the field knowledge they had was a letter from a German missionary who wrote to America saying. Will someone come to Brazil?


That was the beginning. Their first trip lasted a decade serving in several places in South America. There where no phone calls, no daily FB updates and no cool Instagram pictures. Few words on a telegram, or when letters were written they delivered weeks later were the ways of communica…

A month in Paraguay, Come and hang out with us

Book fair – Freedom of expression
Its was the beginning of the 12th , annual book fair. This event is organized by a local university as one of its arms into the community. Publishers, book sellers and authors come to present their books. Until Sunday Sept 11th, kids, professors from different schools will come and visit plaza de armas (city square of weapons) in downtown Encarnacion to learn and interact. In parallel with the book fair, workshops are going on all day, dealing with topics as wide as social media, religion, politics, team work, biographies, and history.


Just to refresh our memory, until 1989 Paraguay had only two universities in the country. The country was governed by a dictator for 35 years. Freedom of expression could cost exile, jail or even death. That’s only about 30 years ago. Today there are 54 universities, but still only about 4% attending university. People are gaining their voice without fear of repression after two hundred years. You can imagine how these …