Imagine a place where it is impossible to recycle old newspapers, glass and plastic...What you just imagined is the place where we live. There is an unbelievably low awareness toward environmental education and preservation in South America. We are surrounded by farmers who burn 10% of Paraguay's pure rain forest every year and it's sickening to see burning smoke every time we travel down the highway. We are a few weeks away from the new year and we have some hopes and dreams to help our community and to cut down on our own consumable energy:
* We would really like to start a recycling effort in our town.
* We are going to start a conservation radio program.
* We are going to attempt to actually build a solar panel for our home.
* We are using geothermal and wind energy to heat our home.
* We are going to plant 200 trees this year. We planted 150 this year and completely covered 4 neighborhood blocks. Some of our neighbors got excited and planted too! We are going to "up" our goal for 2008.
So, this is our proactive plan to help preserve God's creation. Does anyone have any good resources on how to begin a recycling effort in the developing world? What are your environmental goals for the new year?